Cataracts are the condition of the eye manifested through first blurred/clouded vision then complete vision loss, especially in people over 40. It is the main cause of blindness in the world. Even though we are used to hearing of vision loss being caused by macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy or glaucoma, cataracts are a more common cause of vision impairment and loosing of vision than the three mentioned conditions.
Prevention and Solutions
Unfortunately, no matter how thoroughly scientists have explored the topic of causes and prevention of cataracts, no clear answer has been given in response to how to deal with the condition. However, there have been some suppositions and ideas as to how to slow the progression of cataracts or try to prevent it. According to the latest Mayo Clinic research, this is what has been discovered:
- Having regular eye examinations helps detect cataracts at an early stage. This too goes for other eye problems. The frequency of eye examinations depends on your overall health, your life style and genetic possibility of having eye problems. Ask your doctor about how often you should get checked up
- Smoking has proven to be one of the main health deteriorates that additionally damages one’s sight. Hence, quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself
- Excessive alcohol intake messes up your vital organs and increases the risk of cataracts
- Whenever going out during the day, it is advisable you wear sunglasses because they prevent eye damage caused by ultraviolet light from the sun. Ultraviolet light can be one of the factors that contribute to the development of cataracts
- As our organs are all connected you need to watch for your overall health and deal with health problems to try and prevent the risk of getting cataracts. Do regular checkups of blood, bones and your overall health
- Weight plays a big role in (not)getting cataracts. In case you are overweight or obese start working on reducing your body mass to a normal, healthy level. If you have a healthy weight, make sure you maintain it. Weight can be reduced or kept in balance by working out and eating healthy. Also, try to eliminate stress as much as possible
- Enriching your regular diet with fruits and vegetables can prevent getting cataracts as both these foods have many antioxidants and therefore help maintain the health of your eyes
[postad] Do vitamin E and selenium help prevent cataracts?
It is long being speculated as to how certain vitamins and minerals are connected to the problem of vision impairment. There have been some suggestions that consumption of certain vitamins may lead be just the solution to healing of cataracts. But, after more thorough research, it turned out that formerly supposed vitamin E and selenium aren’t the protection against cataracts.
The research concerned with whether selenium and vitamin E may be the cure for cataracts was first conducted on animals.
Once the research was started on people, mostly men, it turned out there was no correlation between vitamin E and selenium and cataract prevention. Men in the group that were taking the supplements had similar rates of cataract removal to those who didn’t take any, the research pointed out.
Unfortunately, all researches agreed on a finding that, even many studies have been conducted, there hasn’t been any vitamin or mineral crucial to prevention of cataract. They have further agreed that taking of vitamin and mineral supplements, such as vitamin E and selenium, has no harmful effects and is beneficial for a person’s overall health.
For all people diagnosed with cataracts, cataract surgery is the best solution. The procedure has been absolutely perfected and the patient can get his vision back within days. Cataract surgery is one of the most common surgeries performed in the US with nine out of ten people regaining their full vision.
For all people with vision problems, before being diagnosed with cataracts is advisable to pay regular visits to their ophthalmologists and follow up with the treatment prescribed. The moment you feel something is wrong with your vision, don’t postpone your eye checkup for when things get complicated. The sooner the problem is diagnosed, the sooner it will be dealt with.
Useful information for this article has been kindly provided by Personal Eyes.